Past Competitions: Showbag Design Challenge
At PAX Aus every year, TGDA sells showbags containing information on the group, content from designers, and a game published by the TGDA.
What is it:
The Show bag Competition is a design challenge for use in the show bags at PAX. The idea is that you create a microgame that can either be pressed out on a couple of sheets or uses only a few components so it can fit into an envelope.
What you get:
This game will be published by TGDA. It will be provided in the TGDA showbag for 2021 PAX, held October in Melbourne, Vic, Australia.
Criteria for entry
- Entrant must be a member of TGDA
- Entrant must be an Australian based designer
- Be a Patreon supporter or pay the required entry fee
- Free as a Patreon supporter (easier/cheaper option)
- A small administration fee of $15
There are many definitions for ‘microgame’, in this case, the definition is about the size and components not the complexity. We are looking for games that must be card or paper based and not use more space than 3 A4 sheets – This includes the instructions. Components can include simple easy to find generic items such as a D6 die, or basic meeple. When designing the game ensure it can fit into a DL envelope or similar size.
- Video submissions need to be submitted through the form linked on this page.
- Submissions close on April 30st.
- All submissions will be reviewed by a 5 person panel appointed by the TGDA Committee. These people will not have a submission.
- The panel will select the top few designs and then let the community decide.
- All submitters will be informed of the outcome of the review process by June.
- The winning design will be produced by TGDA in limited numbers and available in the TGDA Pax Aus Showbag, and as a free Print and Play – for for TGDA members.
- The game refers to any submitted concept by a tabletop game designer that meets the requirements as outlined in the criteria above.
- Designers retain all rights to the game.
- The artist retains all rights to the artwork.
- By submitting to the TGDA Showbag Competition you are agreeing to provide all necessary rights for TGDA to publish the game exclusively for the TGDA Showbag at PAX AUS and as a free Print and Play for TGDA members.
- Any artwork or graphic design rights will be retained by the artist, designers will have the opportunity to negotiate with the artist for future use.
- Designers will need to be available to be involved with further game testing and designing before publication as seen in the timeline below.
Criteria for the competition:
- Be a member of the Facebook group
- Be a Patreon Supporter or pay an entrance fee of $15
- Create a video 5 minutes or less that contains:
- Brief description of the game/theme
- Enough footage of gameplay so that we get the concept
- It is a microgame*
- Filling out the appropriate competition form – button below.
If any of the above criteria are not met, this will disqualify you from the competition.
Yes. The size restriction stays the same, but you can do double sided. We would also like all the pieces (including story etc) to fit in a C5 envelope, so pages should be A5.
Is there a preferred time limit?
Nope, the time limit is totally up to you and your game.
Can I use 6x A5?
Yes, as long as it all fits on 3x A4. It can be any combination of sizes and shapes as long as it all fits on 3xA4
Can I use card?
Yes, any or all of your 3 sheets can be made of card and die cut.
Can I use a dice or meeples?
You can use anything that is easily handy – a fork, a D6, a coin, but we won’t be providing it. Anything like little wooden meeples, that not everyone has should be avoided. You can however, make meeple tokens out of card.
How many units are you producing?
MOQ is 1000, this will be enough to cover the show bags for 2-3 years. The major plan is to have 2 games in each showbag.
What do you do with the leftover units (if any)?
Depending on cost, we may produce extra to be used in next years showbag. We will give some to the designer/artist(s) for personal use.
2018 – Lyndon Cullen – Pixel Star
Details coming soon!
2017 – Shannon Kelly – Velvet
A plush-your-luck micro-Legacy game of hand management and adventure for 2 players.